Staying healthy is one of those obvious things that seemingly everyone would want to take seriously. Unfortunately, for far too many people today, the stresses of life seem to cause many people to neglect this essential personal responsibility. If you can discover some simple tips for living a healthy life that will be easy to do, perhaps that will get you jump-started on a path to a healthy lifestyle.
Here are some simple steps to take:
1. Maintain your ideal BMI, or Body Mass Index. Most physicians advise people to keep this number between 18.5 and 24.5. This number relates to the percentage of overall body fat your body holds. Some of the best ways to maintain this number include taking vitamins, having a proper balance of proteins, minerals and carbohydrates, and regulating sugar and cholesterol levels. These and other steps will help to prevent your BMI from going beyond the standard levels.
2. Daily exercise not only helps with weight management, but it also increases the endorphins in the body. These are the chemicals that help us to feel energetic while also decreasing stress levels. The number typically mentioned for the amount of exercise needed on a weekly basis is at least 30 minutes a day, on at least three days each week.
3. Sleep makes a tremendous difference in our health and well-being. Most doctors advise that people should get at least 7 hours each night. This can vary depending on the needs of the individual. This is also an important way to increase energy and decrease stress levels.
4. Avoid alcohol if at all possible. Alcohol is believed to lead to weight gain and a decreased immunity to illness. Alcoholism is also a very real threat, especially when alcohol is used excessively.
5. Closely related to this is the use of tobacco. The number of people who die from tobacco-related diseases is in the hundreds of thousands each year.